GUI controls for instrumentation

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Mar 25 10:59:22 UTC 2006

Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 10:47 +0000, Dariusz J. Garbowski a écrit :

> > If it where that easy, we'd have the latest eclipse version in Fedora
> > with all the major plugins instead of the current situation.
>
> Heh, it *is* that easy -- get Sun's Java stack, install, download your
> app of choice, install and run!

It's not, I'm sorry. You require lots of end-user work to make it
anything like work. That's why a stupid app like the logitech remote
controler (which has very simple fontionnality) is still not available
for linux even if it was written in java to be cross-platform.

For a developper java is easy. As soon as you need an average end-user
to make it work and are paying the support costs it suddenly is no
longer anywhere near a good choice.

And I'm not even talking about the differences between jvm behaviour (if
you think you can go sun-only just compare the arches sun, ibm and bea
support)

--
Nicolas Mailhot