GUI controls for instrumentation

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Mar 28 08:03:36 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 09:15am, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:05:46 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote
>
> > If you have 100% control of the systems and can deploy a single
> > controlled jvm everywhere, yes java-on-desktop is doable
>
> If you have 100% control of the systems _every_ language is
> write-once-run-anywhere. Even BASIC.

Which is basically why Java doesn't buy you anything in the portability arena.
There are some applications for which Java is an ideal choice (like dealing
with lots of XML).

For an instrumentation application, Java would be a HUGE mistake.

For an instrumentation application, C++ is a very sane choice.  There are lots
of benefits and lots and lots of libraries for all sorts of I/O, control &
input cards/systems out there.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor