The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 28 09:09:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:43:27 -0600
"Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems to me, that someone with the drive and IQ needs to develop a system so
> flexible and easy to use (eg. having prebuilt modules for diff. languages)
> that many developers with decide to use it instead of rolling their own. I
> would not advocate XML for this however.

Think you've actually hit the nail on the head Arthur; if a good
solution exists developers will use it.   Although it might help a bit
to get some exposure for the solution on freedesktop.org or other
developer sites.

As for XML, with a proper API there's no reason to worry much about the
format of the configuration data files.   The applications would never
look directly inside any config file anyway.   Some people might
want to use a central SQL server for config files, someone else
might want to use traditional /etc flat files etc..

Sean