Double dare ya, Fedora! And your art sucks!

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Tue Mar 28 12:41:45 UTC 2006

Dnia 28-03-2006, wto o godzinie 13:46 +0200, Rudolf Kastl napisał(a):
> Consumers mostly just dont know that they are using worse legacy
> formats like mp3 when they have superior formats such as ogg
> available... i think thats a plain educational problem.
Oh yes they know. It's not a matter of education, but marketing. I'll
give you an example: I would convert my father to Ogg Vorbis if only his
brand new DVD player could play it, but it can't. So instead he's now
switching from MP3 to the "overly superior" WMA format which he can play
everywhere he wants (really). Why oh why doesn't a simple player go with
oggs? Maybe because there are people paying to tide customers to the new
proprietary format without giving them an option?

Think about it once again - I can't make my DVD player, nor my portable
MP3 player, nor my car MP3 player (and so on...) to play Ogg Vorbis. In
the same time I CAN make my Fedora to play and even encode MP3, WMA and
other formats. I even HAVE TO use my computer to rip my new CD and
encode to MP3 in order to load it to my MP3 player. That's one of the
tasks people use any OS for nowadays. (I don't possess any MP3 player in
reality, but know many people who do)

Besides, I may be totally wrong, so please don't yell at me, but one of
the reasons there are so many multimedia players lacking support for
open formats may be the GPL licensing of decoders.

So even if there are good free (speech+beer) formats, encoders and
decoders, even if I do use Ogg Vorbis and Musepack (I've heard it's free
now) on my computer, other people simply can't unless other multimedia
hardware adopts the free formats. Until then many people have no real
option. You may be lucky, I may be lucky, but others are less lucky and
there's not much words can do ("education").

Lam