Double dare ya, Fedora! And your art sucks!

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 16:53:37 UTC 2006

Rudolf Kastl escreveu:
> (...)
>

>> Think about it once again - I can't make my DVD player, nor my portable
>> MP3 player, nor my car MP3 player (and so on...) to play Ogg Vorbis. In
>> the same time I CAN make my Fedora to play and even encode MP3, WMA and
>> other formats.
>>

> When i buy hardware i make sure that it does what i want. if it
> doesent i wont spend money on it. we can play through the "chicken and
> egg" problem over and over.. The only starting point i see is if users
> explicitely demand support for superior formats of those embedded
> devices you talk about or not buy it at all while letting the industry
> know, because then theres a business case... .

    When I buy "hardware" (like DVD players, music players, screens, TVs
    and other commodity stuff, I look for _avaiability_ and _price_. A
    chinese MP3 player costs about 50 bucks (US$) in Brazil, but if I
    want a player that plays ogg and other formats it will cost much
    more. I'll have to look for it (spend my time). It will be virtually
    impossible to find a theora decoding video player (DVD). I'll have
    to trust that it will have maintenance (replaceable bateries for
    instance) and so on, so forth... To give you an idea, an iPod Nano
    is sold, in Brazil, at R$1149,00 (US$638).

> (...)
>
> Thats what i see completly different... you state above that its a
> "marketing issue" you arent completly wrong with that in my eyes...
> marketing in this case does nothing but educate the user in a wrong
> way though...

    Unfortunatelly we live in a real world. In  a real world, a program
    can cost $0,99 if sells millions of copies or $1.000 if one or two
    is the case... Besides, I don't think  consumers are stupid or
    uneducated. They just want confort.  Industry supplies them with
    both confort and reasonable prices (sometimes not). But if addopting
    OGG is the case, them converters must be easily avaiable. GPL
    players must be easily avaiable and not only for Linux (most people
    - I mean 99,99%) uses M$. So someone must supply - at reasonable
    prices and confort - players, codecs and converters. Finally, music
    and video are, generally, intelectual property of someone and the
    form of encoding does not relly on wishfull thinking of programmers
    that want to educate the world. And as you are so carefull about
    "intelectual rights", many times, if the author does not release its
    work under "Creative Commons" or a similar license scheme, you
    cannot just convert from MP3 to OGG or from MP4 or WMV to AVI
    without explicit consent and rights payment and the assurance that
    the sound and video won't be altered by the conversion process. It
    is not an easy issue.

> Again i see parallels to politics... where the Marketing people (of
> the industry) and the Politicians try to tell us that we exist to
> "serve them" instead of vice versa most of above mentioned can really
> be happy that most people dont know better.
>
> The question there in my eyes is rhetorical: "Who is the customer?" or
> rather "Where do you (as producer) get your money from in the end?".

    I agree, so we must start to demand that our preferred artists
    unsign from record companies and start to issue their works under
    Creative Commons and that their work must be supplied using free
    sites like SoundClick, PureVolume, 15megsoffame in both MP3 and OGG
    formats... In my point of view, its an easy way of gettin killed or
    sent an institution for the mentally disabled...