Double dare ya, Fedora! And your art sucks!

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 17:22:43 UTC 2006

    I got your point, Fedora is a "teaser" and RHEL is the "real thing",
    so purchase RHEL. If you test enought in Fedora and find a feature
    that is "cool", hey don't forget to tell us, so it can be
    incorporated in the next RHEL...

    But the final quote is magnificent... M$ and Mr. Gates would love
    it... for the embeded idea that, in Linux community, UPGRADE/UPDATE
    is not really an improvement and addiction of qualities and
    functionalities but may also imply in killing/changing functionality
    without asking the user if he/she agrees or not with it. And it is
    real easy to get lost... just what you have to do is a yum update.
    And the programs that used to work no more will behave the same
    way... very basic things like character encoding in PHP and so on
    and so forth...

    BTW, FHEL does not sell well in Brazil. Know why? Don't??? So send
    an idependent audit company to try to understand the situation... To
    see what the representatives do. You'll find resellers installing
    pirate copies in customers servers and practices like that. Support
    nears zero, sometimes you have to be the "teacher" and is $$$$$ and
    you are treated with the same f_ck_g adjective you used in the last
    paragraph.

Casimiro

Chris Adams escreveu:
> Once upon a time, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <casimiro.barreto at gmail.com> said:
>
>>  (...)
>> In software market everything is gray zone. You issue MySql and AFAIK it
>> is not really "open source", but them you stripe it (so RHEL can have
>> the full flavour and the others don't).
>>

> Wrong.  MySQL is released under the GPL (that's about as Open Source as
> you can get).

Wrong. Parts of MySQL are GPL and parts are not. From the MySQL site you
can download everything, but it is really trick to compile to fit what
is included in Fedora distribution. PHP is distributed from Zend
Corporation and I really haven't seen if it is or is not GPL, but they
distribute it from free out of their site. But again, if I want to use
it I have to do a lot of tricks to have it running properly under Fedora.
>> Result: I upgraded a server in 20 minutes and everything stoped
>> to work... that meant 20+ hours of straight work of coding and recoding
>> (man, I had to code calendar months and other stupid things) to have the
>> basics running back.
>>

> What kind of idiot upgrades a production server without any testing in
> advance?

The kind of idiot that follows Fedora's site instructions and do a yum
update...