Fedora's way forward

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Mar 28 17:42:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 11:50 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:
> > That makes it distributable by lame, but not REdistributable by Fedora
> > and any Fedora derivitives.  Redistributable is the key.
>
> Nah, this part's easy.  Lame brings up a yum repository, with mirrors,
> all legal and proper.  Fedora carries it in the stock yum.repos.d files.
> Post-installation instructions say "push this button to collect MP3
> support".

Isn't this exactly what Livna is for? (Except for the shipping in the
distribution part...)

Perhaps Livna should have some kind of "Make everything work"
meta-package. Include the macromedia repo in its release package too.

I've had good success telling people in #fedora how to get nvidia's
drivers with just two commands. Its simply not that hard. The problem is
education. And of course Red Hat forbids itself from even mentioning
Livna...

(I see http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc5-tips.php handles this pretty
well. Something like this should be on Livna's site, and be the top hit
for "Fedora MP3 DVD AVI playback"...)