Kernel for SMP VIA C3 machines

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 18:13:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:55:59AM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Just FYI, the exact error message when booting the shipping FC5 i686
> SMP kernel is:
>
> Unknown interrupt or fault at EIP 00000060 c0100295 00000294

The VIA C3 should use the i586 kernels. While the processor is an i686
compatible the gcc people screwed up way back when and assumed "cmov" was
required for 686. Now as it turns out the only useful reason for having an
i686 architecture is (was now we have P4) "cmov" so the slightly
differing "686" meaning persists.

The installer should have chosen a 586 kernel and apps however unless you have
a later Nemeiah variant which has full CMOV