Fedora's way forward

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Mar 28 18:28:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:04 -0500, sean wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:00:10 -0500
> Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> > What would be useful (free or nonfree) is an xml/yum-repository type format
> > that could be hooked into firefox and friends so you can
> >
> > 	"Click here to subscribe to fetchmail-pro"
> >

> Already possible.  Repository maintainer publishes a link on their
> website to a rpm that installs a repo file.   Click on the link,
> click "Install RPM" when prompted and Bob's your uncle.

I just tried this. I clicked on the freshrpms-release RPM in Galeon, it
just prompts me to save it. However once saved, opening it in Nautilus
starts up system-install-packages and allows me to install it. Neat.

Nice to see this functionality return. Now if you could get it to go
direct from the browser to installing packages, you'd really have
something. (A vector for malware if you're not careful. Check those GPG
sigs...)