Fedora's way forward

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 28 18:36:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:35:50 -0600
Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:

> And the argument devolves into the age old idealist vs realist conflict.

I'm so tired of the proprietary voices claiming themselves as the voices
of realism.

It is REALISTIC to think that we can be a distribution focused
on providing open source solutions.   It's realistic to know that means
we won't appeal to everyone or service everyones needs.   It's realistic
to know that it doesn't matter a tinkers damn because that's not
what we're interested in.

People who are passionate about developing open source solutions
can be very realistic and bloody well reject proprietary solutions
at the same time.

> Personally, I believe Linux has been so successful exactly because of
> Linus's "Best is the enemy of the good" philosophy. But that's just me,
> a realist.

Exactly.  Listening to all the proprietary zealots demands to
have the very best proprietary formats may very well be the
enemy of having good open source alternatives.

Why the hell does everyone think we have to take over the world?
We're just a little open source distribution trying to make
open source solutions.  Why the fuck is that so hard to understand
without caling someone an idealist?

Sean