Thinkpad, Thinkpad, Thinkpad

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 20:10:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:46 +0100, Joe Desbonnet wrote:

> Is a "fedora-laptop-list" warranted?

I doubt it -- a very large percentage of FC5 installs will be laptops,
and the trend is that they'll be gaining more and more ground.  Moving
laptop discussion to another list just means we have one more
development list.

More broadly, there seems to be a widely held belief that we can treat
laptops, desktops, and servers as three unrelated things, or
alternatively as two related things and then a third thing that's
completely unrelated.

It's a bad misconception.  There's already concern about power (and
heat) management regarding servers, and that's one of the biggest ways
in which servers and laptops differ.  They're really much more similar
than different.

We need to be thinking about it as facets of the same problem, not
moving the discussion of them apart.

--
  Peter