The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Tue Mar 28 21:14:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Alan Cox wrote:

> Gconf doesn't need gnome. The reverse is true however. The XML format also lets
> you work with prefences using styles and XML XSLT and the like which is very
> powerful when working with a large number of systems. Really nobody has
> scratched the surface of what it can do.

http://www.libelektra.org/GConf has a whole list of reasons why they feel
gconf would be a bad choice (at least in its current form) for the system
configuration api.  A few example it has a lot more library dependencies,
was not designed with a global namespace in mind, "GConf storage backend
uses XML files, which are big, take long time and system resources to
parse or update.", Eletkra has the concepts of "backends" of which gconf
is one.

I dunno if Elektra is the right solution, but they seem to have some good
arguments.

Shane