The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Tue Mar 28 22:56:38 UTC 2006

> Writing configuration files and configuration file parsers is boring,
> frustrating, error-prone work.  If elektra is the right solution we
> should see new projects embracing it.  After that happens, you'll start
> seeing buyin from the established projects.
>
> How to get more new projects to use it?  More language bindings would
> definitely help....

That may be the case, but for some applications say named, dhcp or ldap
does it not seem reasonable that a generic configuration format may
require a balance between putting less logic in the config structure
requiring more of the application?  If so I can see how this would be a
turn off for some applications even though it may be an overall win for
the system as a whole.

Cheers,
Shane