Fedora Core 5 common issues and bugs

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 10:49:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 02:31:19PM -0800, Schlaegel wrote:
> This presents the obvious question: why don't we just check the iso on
> the media instead of the media itself, and thus remove this long
> standing problem.

If we wanted to do that we would need to do it by walking the mounted iso
file system. The moment we deal with the raw device the kernel starts treating
it as a device not a file system so we get readehead into the twilight zone.

However I'm glad you asked because you've made me realise we may have the bits
to deal with this as of FC4/5. Specifically we could use the device mapper to
create an ISO sized mapping of the relevant chunk of the CD and check that...

That might just work

Alan