Fedora's way forward

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Wed Mar 29 15:35:37 UTC 2006

Eric S. Raymond said:
>> Thats exactly what would happen. You can talk about all you want about
>> support open formats but if you dont actually build up volume nobody is
>> going to use it. If mp3 was supported out of the box in Fedora, why
>> would there be any incentive left for anyone to use ogg codecs?
>
> Um...because Ogg is a better format?

I'd wager that a great many people who simply "use" their computers do not
really care about the technical aspects of the format in which their music is
stored, so long as they can easily listen to it, and copy it it to their
portable music player, or burn audio CDs from it, et al.

On a side note, Ogg is merely a container format. The actual audio codec used
in most cases is Vorbis; though it can hold other codec streams such as FLAC,
too.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail