The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 16:36:06 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Florian La Roche <laroche at redhat.com> wrote:

> > The simple fact is GNU/Linux could do much better on this front and
> > it appears we have no real plan or general consensus on how to proceed
> > in address this issue on a global scale.
>
> A full ack on this, we would solve a lot of items if we could move
> forward to have a standard lib for all this. But it will be very
> hard to have agreement on how to solve it and even more to make
> projects move over from their current ways.
>
> regards,
>
> Florian La Roche
>
> I think the process of getting other projects to use this "standard" would
be to put some though into the design and mark multiple backends and
multiple interfaces part of the design. If there are libs, modules,
languages binds, etc with as little dependancy hell as possible, I think
projects will eventually gravitate to this solution. I know I wouldn't roll
my own config parser if there is a perfectly good one already included on my
system , or which can easily be added to any system.

Arthur