The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Wed Mar 29 19:40:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>> A full ack on this, we would solve a lot of items if we could move
>> forward to have a standard lib for all this. But it will be very
>> hard to have agreement on how to solve it and even more to make
>> projects move over from their current ways.
>
> I think the process of getting other projects to use this "standard" would
> be to put some though into the design and mark multiple backends and
> multiple interfaces part of the design. If there are libs, modules,
> languages binds, etc with as little dependancy hell as possible, I think
> projects will eventually gravitate to this solution. I know I wouldn't roll
> my own config parser if there is a perfectly good one already included on my
> system , or which can easily be added to any system.

I agree design is key here.  However our community generally wants no part
of discussing requirements and then writing specifications in English.
They want actual code... Is there a good case here for gathering
requirements and perhaps writing a specification, getting feedback from
the major players prior to code being written?

Cheers,
Shane