Fedora's way forward

Michael Knepher mknepher at bluethingy.com
Wed Mar 29 21:50:00 UTC 2006

> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 22:30 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > I was talking about fluendo, so this tool would help users to download
> > legitimate plugins, I also suggested that maybe we could convince real
> > to make real codecs available for such a semi automated install, so
> > there is no infringement here. Please read my post again, and next time
> > read before shooting a default answer from the hip.
>
> From what I gather, our Legal team did not see it as possible to even do
> this, if we had wanted to.  We don't WANT to encourage the use of these
> non-free codecs.

While I don't think Fedora should be providing any *nudge, nudge, wink,
wink* "semi-automated" mechanisms for installing non-free codecs, what
are the possibilities/ramifications of including a mention of the
fluendo mp3 codec in either the release notes or the forbidden items
FAQ? I rip all my CDs in ogg, and even bought an iriver player to use
them, but taking the stance that by choosing Fedora I should lock up all
of the mp3s I bought from emusic.com seems a bit extreme.