The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 23:24:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 19:20 -0800, Shane Stixrud wrote:
> > I have been using another config mgmt system, puppet,
> > (http://reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet) I wrote up an example of how
> > a config mgmt tool could help in solving the kind of problem you are
> > looking at: http://people.redhat.com/dlutter/puppet-app.html
>
> Puppet looks like a very promising centralized change distribution system.
> As you mentioned this separates the "how" changes are applied from the
> "what" is actually changing.  If you combine the change re-visioning
> concept mentioned above with a puppet like centralized distribution system
> that can detect client changes we now have something quite impressive.

Yes, one of the things I am very interested in is combining puppet with
a distributed SCM like mercurial, both for distribution of canned
configs, and for tracking changes to those configs over time. Puppet
right now logs what changes it applied to each machine, but that should
probably be expanded to produce a more focused history.

> In fact it resembles very much what I have with my Cisco equipment +
> management software.

Interesting. Any pointers where I can look at docs ?

David