Double dare ya, Fedora! And your art sucks!

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Thu Mar 30 00:01:46 UTC 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 7:08 AM, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

> Flash for Linux literally sucks... it is slow

As someone that has spent a good deal of time benchmarking Flash
performance, this is not true. On the exact same hardware, the Linux
Flash Player 7 plug-in plays as fast as the version 7 plug-in on
Windows.

However, the Flash Player ActiveX control is more highly optimized than
the plug-in, so if you compare Flash performance on Windows in IE to
Flash performance on Linux with Firefox, Windows is faster in that
case. If you use Firefox as the browser on both platforms, the
performance is as close as my measurements could show. Since the
current Flash Player for Windows is version 8, that throws another
issue into the mix. My tests show version 8 to be up to 15% faster than
version 7 using the same configuration. If you compare Flash
performance using a Windows version 8 ActiveX control to a Linux
version 7 plug-in, you are indeed comparing apples and oranges.

> and again there is no support for shockwave. People says that's
> due to the needs of using ActiveX for ShockWave run

Shockwave is available as both an ActiveX control and a plug-in on
Windows. Unlike Flash, both versions have the same performance ( a
plug-in is available for Macintosh too). The Shockwave group within
Adobe is completely separate from the Flash development group. The
usage base and defined goals of the Shockwave group must indicate
little need for a Linux player. I of course disagree with that, but I'm
not the Shockwave development manager ;)

For those hoping for a 64-bit Flash Player for Linux, the indications
for the upcoming Flash Player 8.5 show no support planned for x86_64 on
Windows, so I doubt it will appear on Linux.

Flash users on Linux should be aware that there is no plan for a
version 8 Linux Player. The Flash group is working instead on a version
8.5 Player. This effects Linux users because Adobe recommends upgrading
to the most recent version 8 ( 8.0.24 ) to resolve several security
issues. With the most recent issue ( CVE-2006-0024 ), Adobe is
releasing fixes back-ported to version 7 players for depreciated
platforms ( Win 95, Win NT, Mac OS < X ). Not included is Linux, which
is not a depreciated platform ( which is good ). That means the Linux
Flash Player version 7 has the above vulnerability, and a fix will not
be available until Player 8.5 is available for Linux.

I know many of you won't touch Flash with a ten meter pole, but for
those who do, be careful out there.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/