The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 30 10:35:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:56:41 -0800 (PST)
Shane Stixrud <shane at geeklords.org> wrote:

> Or even better the following is very readable and easy to edit with a
> standard text editor IMO.
>
> cfg_mgr --interactive
>
> display -detail /dhcp/sw/dhcpd/subnets/10.202.46.0-24/*
>
> /use-host-decl-names:
>     ; Key description
>     # User comments go here
>     on
>
> /options/log-servers:
>     ; Key description
>     # User comments go here
>     10.202.46.2, 10.202.46.3
>
> /hosts/ws001/fixed-address:
>     ; Key description
>     # User comments go here
>     192.168.0.1
>
> /hosts/ws001/default-lease-time:
>     ; Key description
>     # User comments go here
>     10000
>
> /hosts/ws001/filename:
>     ; Key description
>     # User comments go here
>     /lts/vmlinuz-2.4.26-ltsp-1
>
> /hosts/ws001/hw:
>     ; Key description
>     # User comments go here
>     ethernet:00:11:22:33:44:55

For ad-hoc interactive usage that looks worse than what we have today;
call up a config file and page through it to see the information you want.
However something like that might be useful for scripting.

But the difficult issue isn't really what tools might be possible after
a unified config system is in place.   Rather, it's how to get enough
apps to use the config system in the first place.   My own view is that
concentrating on the needs of _developers_ not users and sysadmins
is the way to success.   The user and admin tools are the easy part.

Sean