'Commercial Partners'

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Mar 31 17:30:30 UTC 2006

Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com>:
> That is what I was referring to.  Eric Blossom from Gnu Radio told me
> this as a possible explanation for wlan driver secrecy as well.

Well, there's a larger issue with variable driver wattage there...

> Well let's not conflate the player app with the codecs.  Quicktime for
> example contains Sorensen and 30-odd other codecs:
>
> http://www.simnet.is/klipklap/quicktime/

Yeah, I know.  But in practice "Quicktime" support pretty much reduces
to "Sorensen video codec support".

> Each of these will have its own patent story and people looking to get
> their hands on RHAT's cash if RHAT give them the chance.

This is no different than any normal negotiating situtation.  Other OS
vendors deal with it all the time.

> > The goal of the game here isn't perfection, it's
> > maximizing adoption rate.
>
> I don't believe I saw that in the Fedora manifesto.

No, you didn't.  That mean I'm somehow not allowed to argue that
the manifesto should change?

I'm not doing this for my health, Andy.  Linux is in a fluid competitive
situation with a lot of powerful enemies.  It's grow or die.  I'm trying
to avoid "die".