The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Fri Mar 31 18:40:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:30:12PM -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> So you may think there is a reason, lost in time, but there is
> actually no reason why BIND named.conf file look that way, which is
> different from /etc/passwd, which is different from smb.conf, which is
> different from httpd.conf.

...except that configuring a name server is a differnt problem domain
than configuring user accounts, than configuring a file server,
than configuring a web server, etc.

Please, this topic comes-up again and again.  How long this time
before someone suggests we all use the windows registry?

Migrating thousands of Unix-oriented applications to XML-based
(or similar) configurations schemes, only so that you then have to
develop new tools for each application to turn the XML config file into
something appropriate for the given application, just makes no sense.

Perhaps you could move-on to actually writing some code to solve a
real problem, instead of re-hashing this pipe dream?

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville