FC5 ISO Re-Spins

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 2 11:14:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 03:55:32PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 15:49 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > >
> > > Here is the output at the point of failure
> > [snip]
> > > Again this is building x86_64 on i386, the instructions used worked for
> > > i386 on i386. Instructions are based on
> > > http://fedoranews.org/contributors/gene_czarcinski/update_distro/
> > > modified and updated for FC5.
> > >
> > > Should we be using Mock for this as alan pointed out above?
> >
> > Using mock isn't the important part, but you'll need to make sure that
> > things think that you're running on 32-bit as otherwise, arch scoring
> > will want x86_64 pieces.  You might be able to get away with just
> > running the commands under setarch, but setarch + a chroot is safer[1]

> and as Jesse points out, I read your message backwards.
>
> There are ways to do i386 on x86_64, but x86_64 on i386 isn't going to
> work with the current set of tools

I think there may be some confusion in this thread. Some posters
define "respin the isos" with "replace the packages with ones from
updates and rerun anaconda bits on them", and others define it as
"rebuild from src.rpms".

For the latter you need arch comaptibility, e.g. i386 can be built on
x86_64 (provided you setup sane chroots, use setarch etc.).

But the former might not need any special arch
considerations. E.g. createrepo, pkgroder and the like only look at
rpm headers and hopefully shouldn't care about the actual contents and
rpm colors. Is that true? E.g. can I build x86_64 and ppc isos on i386
(provided the packages are already available, e.g. no rebuilds).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net