layout of FC5 (and previous) CD's

Peter Bieshaar peter.bieshaar at gmail.com
Thu May 4 06:45:15 UTC 2006

First I am wondering the strategy the rpm's are put on the different CDs. On
a previous test I had to do something with openldap, which is on CD5, with a
dependency on libtools, which is on CD2. Now I'm doing a mysql installation
which was found fast at CD2,  but still some dependent rpm's are on other
CDs.

I once worked with a guy who constructed a dependency tree on a Solaris
jumpstart. For example when an Oracle had to be on a system the
DBD.Oracleand the DBI should also be on the system (this is just meant
as an example).

In other words what I'm suggesting, under the Fedoro/RPMS directory, is
differentiating rpm-trees based on functionality and dependencies:
(base|extras)/(development|web|office|etc..). Darkside is a major extention
of  the comps.xml file and loads of initial work. Brightside however is
maintainablity and more friendly post-installation when a FC# is installed.

I'm wondering if:
- this is a good idea
- this is something to do with future Fedora distributions

Peter Bieshaar