xorg-x11- packaging prefix

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu May 4 08:34:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:50:21AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 04.05.2006, 02:52 +0200 schrieb Axel Thimm:

> > > OK, thanks, that was what I was looking for. So oot drivers have free
> > > nomenclature (e.g. following the project's name), and when (if) they
> > > enter xorg-x11 they become canonicalized to xorg-x11-drv-foo.
> > > Maybe I should toss it to fedoraproject.org's wiki somehwere.
> > I've added an entry to
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines
> >
> > "Addon Packages (x11 drivers)"
>
> No offense, but I removed it again. Changes to these kind of documents
> are best (read "best" -- not "have to be") discussed with FESCo, on
> fedora-packaging and/or with spot, the original author and maintainer of
> this document and the Packaging Guidelines in general.

No problem, discuss it in FESCo and then add it again. :)
I've added fedora-packaging and spot in the Cc.

> BTW: Shortly before FC5 was released there was a irc-discussion
> regarding the package naming of the proprietary nvidia and fglrx
> drivers. It was on #fedora-extras (spot was involved in that discussion,
> too) -- the consensus was "use prefix xorg-x11-drv even for non-Xorg
> drivers". And that's what livna did for FC5 then.
>
> We should probably discuss this during the next FESCo-Meeting with spot.

We know that Fedora Extras and Fedora Core don't yet have identical
packaging rules, but they are converging. Wrt new packaging rules one
should discuss it with both sides, e.g. ask the x11 maintainers at FC
who introduced that prefix what the purpose of the prefix is like done
in this thread.

Creating new divergent views isn't helpful, I'd say either convince
FC's x11 folks to change their mind or follow along.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net