layout of FC5 (and previous) CD's

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu May 4 20:26:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 22:17 +0200, Peter Bieshaar wrote:

> As far as I understand within the discussions, there was no or little
> common sense in placing the rpm's on the CDs. Please forgive me if I'm
> wrong, all FC guys did a tremendous job.

The rpms are split in such a way that you'll never have to go back to
another CD for a dep.  When you're installing, once you're done w/ CD1,
you're DONE with CD1.  No other package to be installed should call for
CD 1 again.  Ditto CD2, and so forth.

Also some logic is put in so that hopefully a basic or default install
should only require the first and possibly the second CD.

> Can anyone JUST tell me how a "rpm -i some.rpm" knows that package
> someother.rpm is needed.  I have tried before with --requires but that
> didn't do the trick. I might come up with a little script which tells
> the hierarchie on relationships, which can be used to differentiate
> the packages on the CDs in a more structured way, which might be of
> help for future FC distributions. These of course should only be
> handled for extras.

It is requires.  Each package has a list of things that it requires.
Those requires in turn may need some other packages, so on and so forth.