Help! fc2->fc5

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri May 5 19:06:18 UTC 2006

On Friday, May 05, 2006 8:42 AM -0600 "Lamont R. Peterson"
<lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:

> Also, don't do "yum upgrade", use anaconda, booting from a CD instead.
> Using  "yum upgrade" there are 20 some odd "corner cases" and such that
> are not  handled (things about the changes between FC4 -> FC5.  Anaconda
> knows these  things and gets things right.

How does one identify these 20 issues? I'd like to look them over on my FC2
server before starting the upgrade process. (I plan to clone the disk and
upgrade the clone. Call me paranoid. ;))

My practice is to copy the DVD ISO to the HD and then use askmethod to
point the installer at the image on the HD. This has worked well for my
desktop FC4 system. The only problem there was my very unusual grub setup
(triple-booting WinXP, FC4 i386, and x86_64 from one FC4's /boot
subdirectory). It took a little manual cleanup to get my grub setup working
the way I wanted, after upgrading both partitions. And I haven't yet got
the nVidia driver working. But I haven't looked at the latter problem very
hard yet.