Optimizing kernel-devel

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat May 13 16:53:30 UTC 2006

After drinking yet another half a dozen cups of tea while waiting for both
kernel-devel and kernel-devel-smp to install, I have an idea how to fix this
mess:

1) Add one more file to kernel-devel and kernel-devel-smp packages, whose
contents are the output of:

cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/src/kernels/<<version>>
find . -type f -print | sort | xargs md5sum >../<<version>>.md5sum

2) %post would then simply read all .md5sum files, reconcile them, and know
exactly what to hard link.

I'd be surprised if this will not speed things up by at least a factor of
10.