Sun JRE or JDK to enter core, or at least extras?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Thu May 18 00:14:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 00:23 +0100, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
> On 05/17/2006 11:28 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> > I don't think it really matters.  The
> > conflict with GCJ and such is a much bigger issue; I don't see Fedora
> > dropping GCJ or the alternatives system that allows either GCJ or the
> > Sun JDK for development.
>
> According to this note by Simon Phipps that's not true:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/webmink?entry=jdk_on_gnu_linux_something#comment3
>
> Quotation from the comment:
>
> "No, it's OK to distribute along with GCJ, GNU/Classpath and so on -
> that was one of the explicit intents of the new license as that was
> previously the chief obstacle to distribution with GNU/Linux."
>
> More details at
> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/webmink?entry=jdk_on_gnu_linux_something

Unfortunately there's a glaring disconnect between what the license says
and what the Sun people think it says.  The things the Sun people are
saying and the FAQ says are encouraging but they are quite plainly at
odds with the License.  Since the license is legally binding whereas the
FAQ and what the developers say is not, this new software license is not
very helpful to Jpackage[1] or Debian[2].  When Sun responds to what
JPackage and Debian's licensing issues with a better license we may see
some progress.

Also, no matter how you cut this license, it's not open source so the
discussion definitely does not belong on fedora-devel (Fedora is
committed to building from 100% open source software.)  There are a
variety of other distributions, repositories, or Sun
linux-community-portal-sites which would be more appropriate for
discussing the intent of the new license versus its actual content.

[1]
https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/jpackage-discuss/2006-May/thread.html#9914

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/05/threads.html#00064

-Toshio