Future Fedora Development

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Sun May 21 21:00:45 UTC 2006

Dnia 21-05-2006, nie o godzinie 21:15 +0100, David napisał(a):

> Thanks for all the comments.  Just a few points and comments.
>
> 1. I would hasten to say that it was not my intent to directly compare
> Linux with Vista I was really just trying to say look this is the
> direction Vista is going in relation to hardware and my worry is that
> Fedora would go likewise where the opportunity not to do so exists.  As
> a result of the Vista upgrade there should be another glut of cheap
> second hand hardware for me to run Linux on!!!!!!!!
>
> 2. Looking at the FC6 Future.  I found the following
>
> Trim down core
>
> Packages that provide duplicate functionality in Fedora Core, or that
> aren't essential to a basic operating system, should move to Extras.
>
> Several ideas exist around this:
>
>     *
>
>       Main distro down to 1 or 2 discs - its growing too much

It will be good remove multiple implementation of:
- term toolkit (lang, libtermcap and ncurses). Use only ncurses will fit
  all what is neccessary,. Patching all program for use libncursesw will
  allow remove distribute libncurses library (now are distributed
  libncurses and libncursesw) and move libncurses to kind
  compat-ncurses package.
- multiple digests operation (openssl, gnutls, nss .. some programs are
  now linked with *all* avalaible implemntations 8-0 ),
- multipme XML parsers. Now some programs are linked with more than
  one XML parser library. For example fontconfig now uses expat but can
  be on build stage compiled as using libxml2 .. but most GNOME programs
  uses libxml2.

This is only few points from much more larger list.
For example now in Fedora is avalaible libdbi but there is no other
programs which uses this library .. except dictd which unondiotionaly if
will find libdbi on autoconf level causes compile dbi dictd pliugin
(anyone uses this ? one persone or more ?). Why this unused piece of
<censored> was added to distributed packages list ?

More .. why many packages do not have separated devel resources ? Why so
many packages still have static libraries and .la files ? Why so many
packages still build static libraries and and removes this on %install
sttage if on %build can be added --disable-static to autoconf options ?

kloczek