RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon May 22 17:56:10 UTC 2006

Mike A. Harris (mharris at mharris.ca) said:
> For the RHEL case, some customers may not be ready and/or
> willing to migrate their custom applications for years,
> and may stay using RHEL4 or RHEL3 for example, or even
> migrate to a non-RH OS.  What business impact that may
> have is hard to say.  It's possible the number of systems
> out there where this is a problem may be significantly
> small in the grand scheme of things.  I'm not sure how
> that could be measured without just doing it and finding
> out after the fact.  ;o)

I suspect the move to modular X and the repackaging under
a different path is going to cause significant heartburn
for third-party software vendors; they may have to change
how their apps build, and it wouldn't be a big news flash
if various apps have /usr/X11R6/... paths hardcoded into
them for various reasions. At that point, changing core
fonts is just one more thing... :)

Bill