RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu May 25 01:10:31 UTC 2006

ons, 24 05 2006 kl. 20:16 -0400, skrev Mike A. Harris:
> Maybe I overestimate the number of people who would get upset over
> such a decision?  Is it worth taking the risk to find out?

Definately.. no questions asked - if the only two projects major
products we break are Emacs and MPlayer, then we seriously have to
consider doing it when the benefits are as grand as I assume they are.

MPlayer isn't shipped with FC, no garantee is given that it will work
out of the box with any release from our hands. We would not be able to
ship a version of MPlayer that worked to the satification of users nor
upstream anyways for legal reasons.

Emacs might be a problem but which instance of Emacs is affected. I
assume the most commonly used console version would remain intact. They
will have plenty of time to either fix their code or work on an argument
for keeping xfs.

As a compromise maybe we could throw out xfs for test1 and look at the
response. If the breakage and complaint ratio is massive then we have
time to revert it and beg upstream to fix their code in time for FC7

- David