RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu May 25 22:15:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 09:15 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Do the OLPC people require a solution right now, or can they wait until
> > some yet unnamed person writes a core fonts compatibility layer that
> > sits on top of fontconfig/Xft?

If you're asking whether we plan to include support for core fonts in
OLPC the answer is no. Not if we can avoid it :-)

> Are we really requiring FC6 and OLPC to be built from the same image, or
> do we get a flag for it at build time?

We really don't want to rebuild X.org for OLPC if we can avoid it.

There's also a world outside OLPC and Fedora, namely other derived
distributions based on Fedora. They too will benefit from the requests
we now put on the table and hopefully their life will become simpler too
if we get the dependencies and package split-ups right in Core.

    David