RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sat May 27 17:53:47 UTC 2006

Mike A. Harris wrote:

> chkfontpath in theory could be rewritten to configure the X server,
> which would work for fresh OS installs, but would more or less
> totally break on OS upgrades, or yum upgrades that migrate from one
> OS release to the next.

For the next Fedora release, we could have chkfontpath updated
to *also* add the font path to xorg.conf.

xfs would remain enabled in existing systems, and could perhaps
be disabled by default for new installations.

chkfontpath could also add the path dynamically with xset
to let the user play with new fonts without the need to
restart the X server.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/