Beware of bash 3.1

Scott Glaser sonar_guy at c-ccom.com
Mon May 1 03:09:46 UTC 2006

This was said by Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>:

>> Step 9, which looks like this:
>>
>>cat <<EOF > /etc/profile.d/java.sh
>> export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jre1.5.0_06
>> export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
>> EOF
>>
>> Results in this:
>>
>> # cat /etc/profile.d/java.sh
>> export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jre1.5.0_06
>> export PATH=/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin
<snip>
>> So... bash 3.1 has definitely changed the way variable expansion is
>> done, namely it expands things it didn't used to expand. Bug or feature?
>> Either way, beware.

>Nope, nope, and nope.  base 3.1 hasn't changed that, it isn't a bug, nor
>a "feature".  It is the standard documented behavior and I believe the
>behavior all the way back to the beginning of the Bourne shell.

>The only bug is in poor (and apparently untested) instructions.
>--
>Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>
>Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
>I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

Chris,
This was tested numerous times and the results listed above could not be replicated following the
directions posted in the how-to. What occured that caused the issue was the command was executed as a user
then the file was sourced via SUDO. Following the original procedure step by step did you will not get the
issue shown above. This procedure was thoroughly tested and proofed before being made available for public
consumption.

Scott Glaser <sonar_guy c-ccom com>