xorg-x11- packaging prefix

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 4 04:50:21 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 04.05.2006, 02:52 +0200 schrieb Axel Thimm:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:39:42AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > It's used in a 'by' sense, notice that we have other out of tree drivers
> > > in the distribution already: synaptics and linuxwacom.
> > OK, thanks, that was what I was looking for. So oot drivers have free
> > nomenclature (e.g. following the project's name), and when (if) they
> > enter xorg-x11 they become canonicalized to xorg-x11-drv-foo.
> > Maybe I should toss it to fedoraproject.org's wiki somehwere.
> I've added an entry to
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines
>
> "Addon Packages (x11 drivers)"

No offense, but I removed it again. Changes to these kind of documents
are best (read "best" -- not "have to be") discussed with FESCo, on
fedora-packaging and/or with spot, the original author and maintainer of
this document and the Packaging Guidelines in general.

BTW: Shortly before FC5 was released there was a irc-discussion
regarding the package naming of the proprietary nvidia and fglrx
drivers. It was on #fedora-extras (spot was involved in that discussion,
too) -- the consensus was "use prefix xorg-x11-drv even for non-Xorg
drivers". And that's what livna did for FC5 then.

We should probably discuss this during the next FESCo-Meeting with spot.

CU
thl