Old Flex version in FC5?

Benjamin Thery benjamin.thery at bull.net
Thu May 4 09:20:46 UTC 2006

Hello,

I use Fedora Core 5 to test Mobile IPv6 on Linux.
In a recent version of the mobility daemon source code a change made
to a lex file make the build failson FC5. This changes introduced some
flex options to reduce warnings output during compilation.

To my surprise these options are not supported by the current flex
version shipped with FC5. I found it strange because FC5 is very
recent. Then, googling a bit, I discovered that flex state seems a bit
confusing:

- Fedora ships 2.5.4a (released in 1997)
- Gentoo has 2.5.33
- Debian has two different packages flex-old (2.5.4a) and flex (2.5.33)

My question is: why does Fedora ships flex 2.5.4a and not a more
recent one?
What are the mysteries behind flex versioning?

Thanks,

Benjamin