layout of FC5 (and previous) CD's

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri May 5 06:10:30 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 04 mai 2006 à 22:17 +0200, Peter Bieshaar a écrit :

> As far as I understand within the discussions, there was no or little
> common sense in placing the rpm's on the CDs. Please forgive me if I'm
> wrong, all FC guys did a tremendous job.

The CD layout is never random, be it in FC5 or nay other release.

> Can anyone JUST tell me how a "rpm -i some.rpm" knows that package
> someother.rpm is needed.  I have tried before with --requires but that
> didn't do the trick. I might come up with a little script which tells
> the hierarchie on relationships, which can be used to differentiate
> the packages on the CDs in a more structured way, which might be of
> help for future FC distributions.

You might try
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.java/561

Which produced for a *small* subset of Fedora a few years ago:

http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/index.php?p=97

(the page may be dead, it's in google cache right now at least)

As you'll see in the example, rpm deps are *not* a simple tree graph,
you have cycles, critical nodes used by many other packages, etc.

And that's not taking into account relations like for example people
interested in the gimp will probably need inkscape too (moreover these
relations depend on the user viewpoint, to take your example some people
will want a pure mysql server, others don't care about the actual db
backend but need perl perl db bindings, etc)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot