Help! fc2->fc5

Leon sdl.web at gmail.com
Fri May 5 11:53:16 UTC 2006

Avi Kivity <avi at argo.co.il> writes:

> Leon wrote:
>

>>> What are the issues? I upgraded two machines (using yum upgrade) from
>>> FC4 without trouble. I'd like to upgrade our server next
>>> (reinstallation is not an option) and would like to avoid any known
>>> issues.
>>>

>> Apparently, how many issues depends on how many packages you
>> installed. In my case, for a desktop user you probably will find the
>> boot is slow and gnome behaves weirdly etc for an upgrade install.
>>

> Well, I boot rarely and use KDE. Can you point me to a known issues page?
>
> --
> Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to panic.

I have nothing handy:-( Have you tried fedora related urls:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/
http://www.tuxforums.org/forum/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/f35

Start from fc5, I try to configure my system so that is will be
upgradable in the sense I can easily restore my settings even for a
fresh install.

Usually, I will try in order:
  1. use a local conf file
     e.g. /etc/fonts/local.conf /etc/ld.so.conf.d/
  2. Try achieve the same in sh script in /etc/profile.d
     for example to add java envs etc.
  3. Edit the conf file that comes with the rpm but document the
     change and pay attention to warnings during upgrade like xx has
     been saved to xx.rpmsave etc.

  1. and 2 are to make sure the list of changes as short as possible.

I hope this will help me when I upgrade to FC7.

--
Leon