License question

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 5 12:13:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 13:59 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I don't know what the best Fedora list is to ask this question, because
> on the project website i didn't find a list that really fitted this
> topic.
>
> A while back i said i was working on a Open-Xchange version that could
> work with GCJ, so that in the end it could be included in Fedora
> (extras). Some parts of Open-Xchange , the HTML, pictures, docu, are
> under a CC license. The "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5” to be
> exact ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/legalcode )
> Now some Debian people have a problem with this license as described
> here; http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html
> The question is does Fedora accept works that are (or partly are) under
> the mentioned CC license?

Good to hear that more work is being done on enabling Open-Xchange to
work on a free software stack.

Non commercial clauses are unacceptable for inclusion in Fedora Core &
Extras since they dont meet the packaging guidelines. We cant generalize
about CC licenses without talking about specific details within the
licenses in the context of Fedora. I believe that the attribution,
sharealike, public domain ones are acceptable within Fedora while the
others are not among the spectrum of creative common licenses .

For content that originates from Fedora, we have settled down on the OPL
license with no additional clauses.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/OPL

If you need a authoritative answer on any particular license, Greg Dek
is out gateway

http://fedora.redhat.com/About/contact.html

In this case, I am pretty sure my answer is right.

Rahul