License question

Fri May 5 12:30:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 13:17 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > Non commercial clauses are unacceptable for inclusion in Fedora Core &
> > Extras since they dont meet the packaging guidelines. We cant generalize
> > about CC licenses without talking about specific details within the
> > licenses in the context of Fedora. I believe that the attribution,
> > sharealike, public domain ones are acceptable within Fedora while the
> > others are not among the spectrum of creative common licenses .
>
> I think you maybe mean "not among the spectrum of Free licenses".
> Noncommercial especially is a bit of a potential nightmare because
> 'commercial' is not properly defined.  I hope the OP can go the whole
> hog and lose the commercial prohibition.

Well I had a "mega" discussion on the Open-Xchange list with the Netline
people (the "owner" of Open-Xchange) and someone working on Debian
packages. The result of that discussion seems to be it is the CC
"Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5” and stays that way. A second
smaller problem was/is that Netline wants a copyright assignment for new
code so they can use it in their commercial version.

At the moment there are only two people "complaining" about the license,
maybe they are willing to listen if more people politely ask to put the
CC parts under a license that is acceptable for inclusion in Fedora and
Debian.

- Erwin