License question

Fri May 5 12:46:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 15:07 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Erwin Rol wrote:

> > In the case of Open-Xchange we are talking about ~3.5MB of pictures and
> > HTML code, which is tightly coupled to java backend code (that is
> > GPLed). So rewriting the frontend is just a waste of time and writing a
> > new groupware would probably be faster (especially since there still has
> > to be done a lot of work to make it compile with GCJ).
>
> How about replacing this part with something under an acceptable
> license? The pictures consist of what? icons?

The pictures would be simple to replace, there are only a few icons (and
they aren't even very pretty :-). The problem is the large part of HTML
code with "tags" that get replaced by the back end. Replacing all this
will be a very large task. It will also mean a fork from the original
Open-Xchange which I think would be a shame.

- Erwin