AIGLX breaks XServer with new Repo

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Fri May 5 15:43:29 UTC 2006

On 5/5/06, Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 02:06:51AM -0400, Benjy Grogan wrote:
> > >[snip]
> > >[snip]
> > >
> > >Are you still using Xair (from the old xorg-x11-server-Xair package in
> > >Ray's repository, which is out of date) as your server?
> >
> > Yes, Xair was always at the top of the list in System Monitor in terms
> > of processor time.  So, if that Xair should no longer be there, how do
> > I remove it and properly replace it with the right Xorg?
>
> First, remove the xorg-x11-server-Xair package.  If you modified your
> desktop manager's configuration to call Xair instead of Xorg [1], you
> may need to change it back.
>
> If you use "startx" and modified your .xserverrc to call Xair instead of
> Xorg, revert that change.

Okay.  I removed xorg-x11-server-Xair package and then removed 0=aiglx
under [servers] from /etc/gdm/custom.conf and replaced it with
0=Standard under [servers].  That fixed GDM and now I can login.

But before I login, and right after udev is started with an [OK] I get
a black screen with a white cross.  I have to type in
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and then bootup continues.  Otherwise it just hangs
there.  A graphic screen never shows up and normally I get a grey
screen that gives me the option of hiding/showing details.  Eventually
I come to a text login console, that quickly becomes the regular GDM
visual console.

So something is still a little messed.  Do you have any idea what this
could be? :)

But at least I can get into my system now.  Thanks!

Benjy