Help! fc2->fc5

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri May 5 17:24:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 11:46 +0100, Leon wrote:

> Apparently, how many issues depends on how many packages you
> installed. In my case, for a desktop user you probably will find the
> boot is slow and gnome behaves weirdly etc for an upgrade install.

1) yum upgraded from fc4 to fc5
- had to, anaconda could not find the comps.xml file on DVD repeatedly,
I think it was trying to get it before media finished mounting
- pcmcia/cardbus support on fc5 DVD was broken, could not do network
install

So I did a clean install of FC4 on the hardware (preserving /home)
upgraded kernel to latest fc4 kernel
upgraded yum to latest fc4 yum
upgraded fedora-release
yum update did the rest.

Works just as well as clean install fc5 boxes.

So I'm guessing your issues are specific to your environment.