License question

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat May 6 06:31:36 UTC 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 02:35:00AM +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:

> rights reserved.">
>
> IANAL so I can not judge if those "tags" would overrule the general
> COPYING file that mentioned the GPL, or if the COPYING (and also the
> license information of the website, which is now updated btw) would
> overrule those tags.

If a license was included for the whole package, without mentioned
exceptions, these copyright statements won't change that.  Copyright
and license are in fact different things.

> Of course they could just have removed those tags and have the GPL "take
> over" via the COPYING file. But they didn't and until now they didn't
> really give an explanation why they didn't, the answer to that question
> was;

In fact, IMHO you better should put such copyright statements in every
file, to protect it as much as possible.  That you then license
everything under the GPL is fine.

>  - The community ask for this (i do not mean the community you
>    see here on the list - but you maybe can imagine that there
>    are other communities behind Open-Xchange - not visible on the
>    very first view)

They probably mean the commercial user community?

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>