OFF-TOPIC not on topic

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 6 16:25:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 14:56 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> Are we really going to see a "OFF-TOPIC" reply to every second mail that
> might be a bit of topic ? Cause those "warnings" are more off-topic than
> some mails that might have better be send to the fedora-list. If you
> feel the need to point out the failure of these "uneducated" persons
> that dare to send off-topic mails, just send them a private reply,
> instead of pointing out how stupid they are on a public mailing list.
>
> Yeah I know, this mail is off-topic ;-)

When off topic posts occur repeatedly and the level of usefulness of
discussions in this list begin to go too low, it is better to point
things out publicly in a attempt to improve the signal<->noise level
even when the attempt to do that does indeed temporarily push it even
lower and discussions about such things does not help that either. Some
have given up that fight and moved discussions over to fedora-
maintainers but I think thats the wrong solution.

Rahul