OFF-TOPIC Re: rawhide report: 20060506 changes

Jose' Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Sat May 6 19:03:43 UTC 2006

On Saturday 06 May 2006 13:17, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> 1. This a topic for "fedora-list".

  I am subscribed in 9 fedora lists, including fedora-list, so clearly that
was not my understanding. I hope that the discussion bellow justify this
view.

> 2. The rawhide package is likely to also install on FC5.

  I agree. That is one of the points.

> 3. In case it doesn't, try "rpmbuild --rebuild gsl-1.8-1.src.rpm"
>    to build the binary packages for FC5. You might have to install
>    some additional FC5 devel packages though.

  As I have told before that is not the case.
$ repoquery --repoid=development --requires gsl
/sbin/install-info
/sbin/ldconfig
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)
libgsl.so.0
libgslcblas.so.0
libm.so.6
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)

  I wanted to point that if this was an Extras package this would probably
have a more frequent update cycle closely related with package release than
with the distribution release.

  This is one of the packages where I feel that it looses for not belonging to
Extras.

  If the omission of this motivation made the message off-topic then I
apologize but clearly I think that message belongs here. Since it is expected
that Core retains one good package from every area and since gsl is one of a
kind according to present goals I don't expect to see gsl moving to Extras so
I bring this subject here where I think it the right forum to discuss this
issue.

PS: In no way this should be understand as any kind of personall attack
including you or the package maintainer, in case it was not clear.
--
José Abílio