/sbin:/usr/sbin in mortal's PATH

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Mon May 8 10:31:29 UTC 2006

Dnia 07-05-2006, nie o godzinie 16:38 -0400, Horst von Brand napisał(a):
> They fix that once for their account, no sweat.
Once for every account on every machine.

> > 3) There is no penalty for giving mortals these extra commands.
> Confused end-users who wonder what all the weird commands do is a penalty.
My FC5:
[lam at pensja ~]$ ls -1 /bin /usr/bin | wc -l
2511
[lam at pensja ~]$ ls -1 /sbin /usr/sbin | wc -l
616

So 2500 commands doesn't confuse anyone and any end-user knows exactly
what those commands do? I know I don't with over a decade of Linux
experience. Per cent, I know more commands from sbins than from bins.

> I do remember times before /sbin and /usr/sbin... the change was done quite
> a while back to segregate administration commands from end-user commands.
I don't remember such times. While I and everyone else in this thread
understand why some commands can be really root-only, most of them work
for users anyhow, any user can use them anyhow and they're useful to
users anyhow, they're just not in the path. Can you explain to me why
there's /bin/traceroute, but /usr/sbin/mtr? This is the one symlink I do
every time. Debian has it in /usr/bin IIRC. Ask for other examples and
100 people will step up.

The wrong thing IMHO would be having /sbin before /bin in the search
path. As someone stated earlier, it can break consolehelper symlinks.
Other than that, either let's make a symlinking-fest or add them to the
path as many suggest, only after /bin and co.

Lam