Linux ATM: usbatm.c: OAM support

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon May 8 18:44:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 19:45 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Hi, someone can explain me why the official kernel do not include in
> usbatm.c the OAM support patch? (see below)

Fedora tracks the upstream kernel as closely as possible.  Therefore, if
you want a patch in Fedora, you need to get it merged with the Linux
kernel.  Either submit the patch yourself (to the Linux Kernel Mailing
List), or better yet, get the maintainer of the patch to submit it.

> I need this support an now I want apply this patch to the FC5 standard
> kernel.
>
> I have the usbatm.c whit the patch, howto I can rebuild it without
> rebuild all component of kernel ?

If the patch is to a kernel _module_, then you can rebuild that module
fairly easily.  Get the 'kernel-devel' package for your kernel (ie, 'yum
install kernel-devel'), and then cd into the directory of the module.
Assuming the makefile is set up right (which should have been done for
you), you can:

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` modules

And your module will build.  Then copy the .ko file
to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/... over top of the stock version, but make
_sure_ to back up the stock version of the module before copying the new
one over it.

Dan